Tuesday 9 February 2010

Nearly up in smoke!

Me being branded a good cook? Think again. Today we were asked to make flapjacks in a pan the way the french do it and it all went well up until the stirring bit. But instead of putting in the butter, golden syrup and sugar then put it on the pan, I put the butter in, then put it onto the gas oven. I was told to stir it til the butter had melted! And I didn't even have my oats or nothing in yet. So I did as I was asked to do, then went over and got my golden syrup in followed by the sugar. I stirred it, but the steam coming off it started to get immensely high. Gemma Neal, who I was working with, another student in my group had turned the heating down and put it on a different ring. I carried on stirring it again, but the steam was just flying off it! A couple of hours later a strong burning smell and overpowering steam hit my face.... Sure enough, couple of hours later, it had burned to cinders! Almost set the place alight. So I had to start from scratch while everyone else made their's perfectly well. For the chocolate cupcakes, it all went well, but not so well for the flapjacks, baring in mind this was the first time I'd made them via a pan this year! Talk about the plans going up in smoke... The college kitchen nearly did, thanks to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment