Wednesday 28 April 2010

War of the social networks

I lead a very very sad social life... The only place I have it is on the internet. You may remember me saying I would NEVER join Facebook even if my life depended on it. Well that accusation was false, because something struck me to try it out, and so yesterday, I signed up to Facebook, my 4th and last social network I will be joining, but this time it's a very different story....

I've had to make myself on Facebook private due to the mockery of collegues from the college that are on there - remember Kerry Barker going through all facebook accounts that morning? I do. Incase someone finds out, all the posts I create, all my contact information and etc I've had to put 'only me'. So I'm comfortable on Facebook and nobody should send me invites, friend requests, nothing! Especially if it's a college collegue - because I don't want to hear from them! I'm already frightened to death I get a friend request off one of them....

Before that, I didn't have the feeling to join Facebook at all, but I'm going to try it out and this is a promise, if I don't like being on it, I'll find a way to delete my account.

On June last year, I remember signing up to the very first social site: Twitter. I now have 303 followers, but twitter didn't appear to be enough, so what did I go and do, sign up to the place where friends occurr - MySpace - which, today, has been a miracle I haven't getting about 12 friend requests since today has been my last log in (don't speak too soon).

After creating my @getmrfonline twitter page, I have signed up and got my very own profile on the 3rd social network, bebo. Filled in the information, sent a friend request to another twitterer, @charliehendy, who sadly won't be on Bebo anymore but has accepted my request anyway. I've been beboing for 2 weeks so far.

Now, something had stricken a cord to get me onto Facebook - don't know what it was, but at least I've found a way to put my privacy settings to 'only me' to restrict myself from being found by collegues. I've only updated once, currently thinking whether to leave or not.

So that is the story of war of the social networks so far. From twitter to myspace, from myspace to Bebo, from Bebo to Facebook... Which one do you think I suit myself on best?

No comments:

Post a Comment